Sunday, August 9, 2009





This is a Blue Footed Booby (not my pic) and is on the site because I saw one the other day when I was out with Vicente looking for Whales and/or Whale Sharks. They are not particularly rare but it is the first one I have seen down here. We also have the Masked Booby (again not my pic) and I think I saw one of those too but not sure. They are both very regal birds and remind me of the incredible Albatross (they are related) I saw when making the passage to Hawaii as a crew member on the sailing schooner Dariabar in '98. We were literally in the middle of The Pacific and this Albatross comes out of nowhere and flies along side for a hour or so.....breath taking. It is really wonderful to meet up with these "Royal" Sea Birds. They are a hoot!

The village was so very quiet this morning. Now Ukiah, my home town for 35 years, is relatively quiet (as U.S. towns go) but this was uncanny. Even the roosters and dogs were quiet; just stillness. A peace so deep I was reminded of childhood moments so secure and safe and loving as to be ethereal. This was after my earlier experience as a child in a war zone of course. That got me to thinking about children and that led to suffering (not mine but to that of the millions that are affected daily due to the arrogance of man whether because of war, greed or just plain evil). And that reminded me of a Hindu wisdom:

You are not a man until you give your love, truly and freely, to a child

You are not a good man until you earn the love, truly and freely, of a child

It does not have to be your child, any child will do!

Peace

No comments:

Post a Comment